Never Too Old For A Beautiful Picture

"I'm too old to have my picture taken." You'd be surprised how much I hear that. What many people don't understand is that gray hair and wrinkles do not make you any less beautiful. I think it is important to document all stages of our lives, especially as we age. That's why I agreed to donate my time to participate in a picture day for a local senior housing center. At first, not everyone was willing to go in front of my camera, but there was one woman there who was excited about the idea and talked several others into participating. Some people really dressed up. One women even wore lipstick. Something she only did for special occasions. It was so much fun!

To be there when these people received their professional portrait was so exciting. Most people loved the print they received, and their smiles gave us so much joy. Some residents even tried to give something back to us with candy, pastries, and even a framed picture of a hand written quote in Korean, that gentleman's native language. It was a very special experience.

Recently I was told that one of the residents I photographed had passed away. Her family was so grateful to have the picture I took because they didn't have any good ones of her later in life. One image was even used for her obituary. What an honor that was for us. Hopefully years from now her grandkids will look at that picture and remember all the good things about their grandmother, because that image shows her as they knew her, a vibrate woman with gray hair, wrinkles, and a beautiful smile.

Here are just some of the images taken that day:






Comments